Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Richard, the sock cubby pirate

Because it's normal to find reptiles in your socks. :-) Because Richard likes that area so much, I've had to find a way to hang his UV light near it.

I promised myself I wouldn't turn this blog into a soapbox, and so I won't, but I should make a statement about my opinions on keeping wild animals for pets, since Richard is wild-caught. Technically, I don't think it's nice to capture something wild to turn it into your own personal source of entertainment. In the case of Richard, he was at a pet store. If I didn't take him home, someone else would. A lot of people go into pet stores and buy animals on a whim, without serious investigation as to how the animal needs to be accommodated. So, the way I see it, I guaranteed Richard a safe and healthy life, and I don't regret that! :-)

Switching gears...

My efforts to breed mealworms have resulted in what I can finally declare a self-sustaining operation! I'm replacing beetles as they die of old age. I have larvae of all sizes, as you can see below. The smallest mealworms were too tiny to disturb for this photo-op. The largest mealworms had already been fed to Mister Richard.

No comments: